Tips for Packing and Moving
Two months before, you should:
- Go room by room to downsize and declutter. Sort through the items that you are keeping, donating, or selling. By having your house consolidated early, it will allow for a smoother, less stressful move.
- Obtain estimates for moving companies (Make sure to read the fine print for any additional charges)
- Create a “Moving” File, Binder, or Checklist. (There are also many apps available to keep you organized.) Maker sure to keep moving estimates, receipts, and all related material together in one location.
- Inventory everything valuable you are planning to move and determine replacement values. Sometimes things break in transit, this be will beneficial for insurance purposes.
Six weeks before, you should:
- Confirm travel arrangements
- If you are moving in the area, arrange for babysitters and/or pet sitters
- Check with your accountant to confirm which moving expenses can be deducted
- Compile all medical and dental records and prescription information. (Transfer pharmacies if necessary.)
- If packing yourself, start gathering packing materials including: boxes, different colored duct tape, packing tape, bubble wrap, Sharpies
- Start Packing, go room by room. It is helpful to use different colored duct tape for each room for easy recognition
- Arrange for kids’s school records to be transferred, if necessary.
- Start planning a yard sale or contact local charities for your unwanted items.
Four weeks before, you should:
- File a change of address, notify friends/family, and other important parties.
- Contact utility companies to disconnect, transfer or connect services.
- Call your newspaper courier and set a date to cancel your subscription.
- Continue packing items you don’t use as often.
1 week before, you should:
- Make copies of important document and collect all small valuables. Consolidate into one box, so you can either hand carry or mail them to your new home
- Pack an “open first” box with everything you will want right away
- Pack an an overnight bag for your first night or two in the new house. Moving is tiring, you may not get to unpacking all that you plan.
- Finish packing the rest of your belongs
- Drain all gas and oil from all mowers, snow blowers, grills, etc.
- Empty and Defrost the refrigerator
- Clean all empty rooms
- Arrange payment for moving company
- Get cash for tip for movers
Move out day:
- Leave a note with your new address in the house so that future residents can forward any stray mail.
- Double check all rooms are completely empty and clean. (Leave it as you would like to see your new home.)
- Lock all windows and doors and turn off all lights.
- Tip movers
After the Move:
- Consolidate all receipts and moving documents into “Moving” binder or file.
- Get a new driver's license and new license plates for your automobile.
- Register to vote.
- Contact the local paper for a new subscription.
Moving Day Apps
- Move Match
- Moving Day
- Move Planner
- Moving Van
Buyer Tips for Closing |
What to Expect as Buyers |
Why Should I Have a buery's Agent? |
Tips for Choosing the Right Agent |
Tips for Moving |
Realtor Designation / Certifications |
9 Things to Consider When Buying
Getting Your Property Ready to Show |
Seller Tips for Closing |
Sold Listings |
Home Value Request |
Services to Home Sellers |
What to Expect as Sellers |
Why Should I Have an Agent When Selling |
Tips for Choosing the Right Agent for Sellers |
Tips for Moving (Sellers) |
Realtor Designations & Certifications (Sellers)